Friday, May 1, 2020

Lauta Park, Cat & Sunset at Rahat Tepe - Plus an Oppressive Premonition

Hey folks!

Sorry for the delay.


The pictures shown in this post were taken on the 3rd of February, 2020.


It was a really nice and sunny day. I decided to go to Lauta Park, one of the less visited places for relaxation and sport. My intention was to just practice some shots, see what I can find there to take photos of.

Early February, the weather was still cold and the park flora was painted in grey colors mostly. I walked slowly, taking photos of various pathways.













Somewhere in the middle of this walk, I started hearing a woodpecker sound. I followed the sounds and I soon reached the heart of the park, where trees were tallest. I wanted to take a few shots of the woodpeckers. This place was wild, serene, really quiet. Sorry I don't have photos of it.

A few minutes later I really noticed the silence. It was a notable moment. I felt like I was being watched by the hidden eyes of the inhabitants - birds and small animals. I felt their worried looks upon me, some sort of an empathy feeling, like they were wondering what to do and curious to see who this unwelcome guest with a camera was.

I felt like a complete rookie. It was a prominent meeting with Nature, where I was the ignorant clumsy child and the birds and animals, the entire flora and fauna there, were the hardened veterans, the ones that know exactly how to survive in this environment. I was standing there with a sense of wonder, looking around, trying to see some of the inhabitants.  At first I could feel their worry, but then, after a while I felt welcome. Or at least I had the curious attention of the birds and animals.

High in the trees, I saw a woodpecker peeking. And then another one. They were too far away for my limited camera zoom.

Then, as I was looking around, a jay flew past me really quick. It landed on a nearby tree. I tried to take a picture of it, but it moved too fast and soon flew further away, impossible for me to take the shot. "Next time then." I thought.

I remember this tranquil moment in this nearly wild place. Back there, even though it was in a park, I could feel my connection with nature. It was a prominent feeling. Full of love. Made me think about how important it is to be in harmony with nature, as much as possible. The feeling that nature leaves in us, when we pay a good visit, is something that heals not just the body, but the soul too.


I continued my walk, taking photos until my batteries run out. Then I went to a nearby shop and got spare batteries. Made some more photos of the various pathways in the park. People come here regularly, for some walks or run exercise. I saw numerous runners along the way. Unlike the other parks in Plovdiv, Lauta is pretty loosened and wild. This attracts me.



















I exited the park with a heart full of joy and relaxed. With a good feeling of accomplishment.

Then on the way back, near my house I saw a cat laying by a tree. She was really close to me, so I zoomed in and took a few shots.





She obviously enjoyed the sunshine and was relaxed.


When I got home, I had some food and then proceeded to daily tasks. But I already had decided that I will take some photos of the sunset this evening, on the Rahat Tepe hill.

I looked up when the sun was gonna set, and I planned my time accordingly. I arrived at the hill just in time.

I used some of the pre-made filters of my camera, particularly the Sunset filter.

I took numerous shots. Some were bad, some were good. Here are the best of them.






Some of the clouds were really nice.


To the west, there is Aliosha Hill. The monument of the Russian soldier can be seen at the top. There were heavy and thick clouds in the sky above the hill.













After taking numerous shots I got tired and the wind started to make me cold. I decided to call it a day, but as I walked away, I turned and saw it. It was a beautiful view. So I got back and took a few more shots. And later on this resulted in an image that was probably my best from this session. The image below.




Nice yellow and orange colors of the sunset, coupled with dramatic dark clouds. Beautiful. But there was something else.

Back home, when I was checking the photos, as I was looking at this image, I started to feel something strange. It was a vague feeling, like a whisper. An oppressive feeling of something unpleasant coming. Back then I didn't know what this was, so I let it fade away. It did to a point, but its bitter "taste" still lingered in the back of my mind. An undefined feeling of worry and stress. I didn't know what it was, I wondered why I felt this way.

Some time later, in the middle of March, the Coronavirus made its way in Bulgaria. And the mystery of that oppressive feeling was revealed.

Stay safe folks. This whole situation is stressful and strange. I hope we can get through this soon. I don't know how you see it, but sometimes I feel like this is a test of sorts. A test for us, to see how compassionate we are, how keen we are to help each other, take care of each other.


I hope you are well.

Thank you for reading and seeing the photos.

See you!

No comments:

Post a Comment